Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Winds of the Wasteland (1936)

Genre: Western
Directed by: Mack V. Wright
Cast: John Wayne, Phyllis Fraser
Running time: 54 minutes



Just as the telegraph is about to replace the Pony Express, partners John Blair and Larry Adams are looking for a new business venture in the field of stagecoaches. In Buchanan City, a local businessman offers to sell them a franchise of his own stagecoach line out of Crescent City, a town that is supposedly booming. Blair and Adams take the deal, but, upon arrival in Crescent City, they realize that it is a ghost town inhabited by two men. Hoping to salvage their investment and make Crescent City viable once again, the Blair enters a stagecoach race to win a government contract for the right to deliver the mail in the area.

Winds of the Wasteland offers a whole lot of very bad acting. John Wayne, still quite young then, is OK, but the supporting cast is absolutely atrocious. And, the story is filled with plotholes that took me right out of the film almost from the get-go. Thankfully, this little western was kept short.

Rating: «

No comments:

Post a Comment