Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Monday, August 8, 2016

Sling Blade (1996)

Genre: Drama
Directed by: Billy Bob Thornton
Cast: Billy Bob Thornton, Dwight Yoakam, J.T. Walsh
Running time: 148 minutes



Karl Childers is an intellectually disabled man who has been confined to the state mental hospital ever since he killed his mom and her lover with a sling blade at the age of 12. Now supposedly rehabilitated, he is set free to go back to a hometown where he has no one left. With the help of the hospital manager, Karl gets a job at a local garage fixing small engines and he then befriends a 12 year old boy, Frank, and his mother Linda Wheatley. But, can Karl truly fit into society after being locked up all his life?

Billy Bob Thornton, who also wrote the screenplay and directed the film, is absolutely brilliant as Karl Childers. That monologue towards the beginning, when he is being interviewed by a student, is something else. It is important to mention that facial transformation, with no help from prosthetics; that looks painful. It takes a while to get used to the voice and the accent, but it is worth the effort.

Honorable mention to country singer Dwight Yoakam, who made for a very compelling bad guy; he made me hate his character so bad. Acting-wise, the only fail for me is John Ritter, as Vaughan, the gay friend/boss of Linda Wheatley. He came off as very cartoonish to me.

As for the movie itself, the ending is predictable, but the storytelling and the acting from most of the actors are so superb that it is easily forgiven.
Rating: ««««

No comments:

Post a Comment