Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (2014)

Genre: Science-Fiction
Directed by: Francis Lawrence
Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth
Running time: 123 minutes



After being rescued from the destroyed arena of her second Hunger Games in a row, Katniss Everdeen finds herself in District 13, a new rebel zone who wishes to wage war on the Capitol and President Snow. The president of the rebels, Alma Coin, recruits Katniss to become that living Mockingjay symbol that will inspire the other districts to join the fight.

It is quite easy to get emotionally involved in a storyline like the one in The Hunger Games franchise. The fight against an oppressive authority figurehead has been dealt with many times in the movies, and most of us can relate with the idea of freeing ourselves from someone who has too much power.

The cast is solid, per usual, in this second sequel. Jennifer Lawrence was definitely the right choice. It was also a treat to see the talented Julianne Moore join the team.

While the first two films of this franchise were high on action, the pace was a little slower in Mockingjay part 1. Also, most of the scenes were shot in darker indoor sets. The visuals were a major strong point of the first two movies, so that was a bit of a disappointment.

All things considered, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 offered some good entertainment and it was quite decent follow-up to the first two films.


Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment