Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Friday, August 5, 2016

The Hunger Games (2012)

Genre: Science-Fiction
Directed by: Gary Ross
Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth
Running time: 142 minutes



In the Dystopian post-apocalyptic nation of Panem, each of the 12 districts of the country much send a boy and a girl to fight in The Hunger Games, a TV show where the contestants fight to the death until one remains. When her young sister is chosen to represent district 12, Katniss Everdeen decides to sacrifice herself and volunteer to take her sibling’s place.

While the science-fiction genre is not my usual cup of tea, I must admit that I really liked The Hunger Games. The story is compelling and pulls you in, as we can all relate considering the voyeuristic world we live in where some are exploited by those who see a profit to make in the misfortune of others.

Jennifer Lawrence is excellent as Katniss Everdeen, a young woman with a strong personality. The actress brings a good mixture of vulnerability and underlying subtle toughness to the main role in The Hunger Games. The supporting cast is also very good.

What grabbed me the most about this film, though, is the cinematography. The sets, the costumes, the makeup and the way the images were shot, it all made for a great time of movie-watching.

Now, the movie was tad long and there is a bit of cheesiness to it all, but, still, The Hunger Games offers a good dose of solid entertainment.

Rating: ««««

No comments:

Post a Comment