Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Thursday, August 4, 2016

And the Oscar Goes To... (2014)

Genre: Documentary
Directed by: Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman
Cast: Anjelica Huston, Billy Crystal, Tom Hanks, Whoopi Goldberg
Running time: 87 minutes



As a very big cinephile, I was truly excited to see this 2014 documentary that details the history of the Academy Awards from the beginning, in the 1930’s, and I was not disappointed.

Over a little less than 90 minutes, this great documentary covers a lot of ground. From the impact of the McCarthy days on the movie business, to the racial situation, to the impact of television, it was all discussed. I particularly appreciated the fact that the filmmakers did not try to skirt around the controversies. From the small number of black nominees and winners to the time Marlon Brando sent a Native American woman to accept his Oscar for The Godfather, it was all there.

There were a few poignant moments, such as Jane Fonda discussing the time where she accepted the Oscar for her sick father, Henry Fonda. Also, there was the footage of Hattie McDaniel’s acceptance speech for the award she received for her role in Gone with the Wind.

In this documentary narrated by Anjelica Huston, we hear from people such as Whoopi Goldberg, Billy Crystal, Jane Fonda and many more. It is truly a gem for the movie lovers out there. I wish they could have gotten comments from Jack Nicholson, since he’s one of the people I associate more closely with the Academy Awards, but it was not to be. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed this film.

Rating: «««««

No comments:

Post a Comment