Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Chill Factor (1999)

Genre: Thriller
Directed by: Hugh Johnson
Cast: Cuba Gooding Jr., Skeet Ulrich, David Paymer
Running time: 88 minutes



After taking the fall for a covert military experiment gone awry, that killed over a dozen soldiers on a remote island, and being confined for ten years, Colonel Andrew Brynner assembles a team of terrorists to steal the volatile chemical from the botched experiment and sell it for his own profit to the highest bidder. Brynner locates Dr. Richard Long, who was originally involved in the experiment and who is still doing research on the chemical nicknamed Elvis. The scientist gets shot in the melee that ensues, but, before dying, he escapes and gives Elvis to two civilians, Mason and Arlo, with instructions on how to bring the dangerous chemical weapon to safety.

Honestly, this film is filled with bad acting and clichéd action. There is nothing much more disappointing than a thriller that is not thrilling. The attempts at humor felt forced and ended up being unfunny. As for the action, none of it made sense. With action films, suspension of disbelief is often needed, but, when the story is not compelling and the characters are not interesting, it is difficult to get emotionally invested enough to bother with any of that.

After a couple of big roles early in his career, Cuba Gooding Jr. hasn’t offered much of note. As for Skeet Ulrich, let’s just say he is not really leading man material.

All things considered, I would not bother with this one if it was to do all over again.

Rating: «

No comments:

Post a Comment