Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Thursday, August 25, 2016

War Dogs (2016)

Genre: Comedy/Drama
Directed by: Todd Phillips
Cast: Jonah Hill, Miles Teller, Bradley Cooper
Running time: 114 minutes



Loosely based on true events, War Dogs tells the story of Efraim Diveroli and David Packouz, two long-time friends who went into business together in their 20’s. They started receiving government contracts to supply weapons to the US troops in Afghanistan. Once they started to gain some traction and to have some success, they decided to take a much bigger contract, which would prove to be much more than they could chew.

This movie was based on a Rolling Stone article written by Guy Lawson. It takes a very light-hearted look at the serious issue of government contracts in war time. It gives the viewer a glimpse of the sad state of things in America, especially in times of armed conflicts. War takes lives, but it also makes a profit for a lot of people.

Jonah Hill and Miles Teller make for a good on screen team. Their chemistry is solid. This film is quite the stretch for Jonah Hill. We are more used to seeing him as a good guy. In War Dogs, he is very convincing as brash, impulsive and manipulative Ephraim Diveroli.

I have also enjoyed the soundtrack of this film, which contains many classic tunes that I have come to love over the years.

All things considered, War Dogs offers a very entertaining look at a serious issue. The film does not take itself seriously, and that is very charming. Some flatter moments, but, overall, I was very much entertained.


Rating: ««««

No comments:

Post a Comment