Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Artifact (2012)

Genre: Documentary
Directed by: Bartholomew Cubbins (Jared Leto)
Cast: Jared Leto, Shannon Leto, Tomo Milicevic
Running time: 103 minutes



This very compelling documentary discusses the battle that ensued between the band Thirty Seconds to Mars and their record label, EMI, after the company filed a 30 million dollars lawsuit against the musicians for trying to get out of their deal over issues with royalties.

In this documentary, we see the three members of Thirty Seconds to Mars, Jared Leto, Shannon Leto and Tomo Milisevic work on the album that would eventually be called This is War, with producers Flood and Steve Lilywhite, with a huge lawsuit hanging over their heads and not knowing if this music they were recording would eventually be released.

Singer-songwriter-actor Jared Leto, who directed this film under the pseudonym of Bartholomew Cubbins, came off as a truly passionate artist here. He brilliantly conveyed the mood of these artists in a very stressful time. You can see him, his brother Shannon and his second bandmate Tomo go through a wide range of emotions.

Artifact offers a very interesting look at the complicated relationship between artistry and business and the commercialization of music. These times are more difficult than ever for people wanting to make a living with music. I highly recommend this documentary.
Rating: «««««

No comments:

Post a Comment