Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Alex Cross (2012)

Genre: Action/Thriller
Directed by: Rob Cohen
Cast: Tyler Perry, Matthew Fox, Edward Burns
Running time: 101 minutes



Dr. Alex Cross is a psychologist and police lieutenant in Detroit. With a wife that has a third baby on the way, he is considering taking a better-paying job with the FBI. Before he does, he must try to stop a psychotic killer, Picasso, who drugs, tortures and kills his victims.

This is the third film with the Alex Cross character in it. In the first two, Morgan Freeman was the hired actor. I did not care much for Tyler Perry’s bland performance here. I simply did not feel it with his portrayal of Alex Cross. He made it hard to sympathize with his character, in spite of the dramatic events in the storyline.

Matthew Fox, on the other hand, was really solid as Picasso. What a transformation for the actor; we are quite far from his character in Lost here.

Unfortunately, Fox’s performance was the only high point for me. The screenplay was badly written and the direction made it hard to get on board. I particularly hated the scenes with shaky cameras and blurred images.

Overall, this is a movie that could easily be skipped without missing much.


Rating: ««

No comments:

Post a Comment