Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Kings of Summer (2013)

Genre: Comedy/Drama
Directed by: Jordan Vogt-Roberts
Starring: Nick Robinson, Moisés Arias, Gabriel Basso
Running time: 94 minutes



This 2013 coming-of-age comedy-drama tells the story of Joe Toy, a teenage boy who is finding it difficult to cope with his single father’s attempts to manage his life. After one more difficult episode at home, he decides to break free with his best friend Patrick, who finds his home life a bore, and a strange kid named Biaggio. Together, they decide to build a makeshift home in the woods. They make do the best they can in this new life, but trouble arises when a girl comes between the two best friends.

The Kings of Summer offers a compelling story delivered on screen by a cast of talented actors. When you are dealing with kids, it can be risky, as performances can be uneven. It is not the case here, as everyone is very good. It was to be expected, though, since Nick Robinson, Moisés Arias and Gabriel Basso all have previous experience in film and television.

You cannot help but root for these teenagers about to make their entry into adulthood. You want them to prove themselves worthy of trust and respect. That is exactly what makes The Kings of Summer so compelling; we have all been there, in our own ways. In the end, this film is a very good one.
Rating: ««««


No comments:

Post a Comment