Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Internship (2013)

Genre: Comedy
Directed by: Shawn Levy
Starring: Vince Vaughn, Owen Wilson,
Running time: 120 minutes



Billy McMahon and Nick Campbell are great watch salesmen. As Billy puts it in the movie: I could sell prosciutto to a Rabbi. Unfortunately for them, the watch business is no longer what it was and the company they work for is closing. Having difficulty finding a job, Billy registers the both of them for a competitive internship at Google. Despite not fitting the norm among all the collegiate applicants, they manage to squeeze their way in. With no guarantee of a job at the end of it, they embark on a summer mission to find a new career for themselves.

Despite being primarily a comedy meant to entertain, The Internship does carry an important message: Everybody has something to bring to any situation or process if you let them. Billy McMahon and Nick Campbell are not as computer-savvy and technologically inclined as their 20 year-old counterparts, but they bring a load of experience to the table. Both generations can help each other and bring something to the other if they can only learn to work together.

This 2013 American comedy does lay its message a little thick at times, but it still manages to be entertaining. The on-screen chemistry between Vaughn and Wilson is undeniable, and it showed that the two were not taking part in their first rodeo together. They work off each other quite well. The supporting cast is loaded with lesser known actors and actresses, but everybody plays their role well. Some characters are a bit cartoonish, though, which can be a turnoff. For example, the token fat guy vs the token bully; it has been done before.

That being said, The Internship is an entertaining comedy that carries an important message about not giving up and giving everybody a fair chance to show what they can contribute.
Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment