Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Monday, June 1, 2015

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)

Genre: Superhero
Directed by: Marc Webb
Starring: Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx
Running time: 142 minutes



This first sequel of the Spider-Man reboot starts with what has happened to Peter Parker’s parents after they left the boy with his aunt and uncle. Back in the present day, Peter Parker is trying to stay away from his girl Gwen, after promising her dying father to do so for her own protection. This is proving to be very difficult, as Peter’s love for Gwen is too strong. At the same time, Parker must deal with his childhood friend, Harry Osborn, who says he needs Spider-Man’s blood to cure him of the disease that is killing him. Osborn recruits Max Dillon, who has transformed into monster Electro after being electrocuted, to help him catch Spider-Man.

The second installment of this series is action-packed from the start. The pace is fast, the images and special effects are crisp. It is a thrilling ride. I must admit I didn’t care much for all the parts where the action is stalled to slow-motion to accentuate certain scenes; it felt a little too cartoonish to me. That being said, the visual of Electro's transformation was well done.

The acting is again very solid here, considering it is a Superhero movie and not a profound deal. Everybody carries his or her load without looking fake. Special mention again for Emma Stone, who lights up the screen. Jamie Foxx was a nice addition to the cast, as he always brings a good dose of intensity and dedication to a role. 

Overall, I preferred the first installment to this sequel. This one felt a little too cartoonish at times, but the story was still very compelling and the actors delivered quite well. Worth a watch, and I await number 3.

Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment