Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Monday, June 8, 2015

Dumb and Dumber To (2014)

Genre: Comedy
Directed by: Peter and Bobby Farrelly
Starring: Jim Carrey, Jeff Daniels, Rob Riggle, Laurie Holden, Kathleen Turner
Running time: 109 minutes



Following the events of the first film, Lloyd Christmas (Carrey) went into a mental institute, unable to cope with his failure to win the affection of Mary Swanson. Harry Dunne (Daniels) still visits his friend every week, taking care of him to the point of changing his diaper and cleaning him. When the second movie starts, it is 20 years later, and Lloyd finally admits that he was faking it all along…for a goof. The two starts catching up on lost times, and Harry says he is sick and needs a kidney transplant. While wondering what to do about it, they come upon an old postcard from a former girlfriend of Harry, saying she is pregnant. That would mean he is the father of a teen. The two idiotic friends decide to go out on a quest to find that kid, the only kin Harry has, thus the only potential donor that could save his life. But, things are never what they seem when you deal with dumb people.

I was so anxious for a true sequel of Dumb and Dumber to be made and I was glad when it was finally set to come out 20 years later. I guess stars needed to align, but we hopefully would have something to make us forget that horrible prequel made by a different team of creators. The main ingredients were put in the mix, so I was confident they would not stink up the joint. Thankfully, they did not.

I never expected Dumb and Dumber To to exceed the quality of the original. That would be like asking The Stones to recreate another Sticky Fingers in 2015. It simply cannot happen. Some jokes did miss the mark. That being said, this movie offers a solid dose of low-brow and crass humor, that will sure make your inner kid belly laugh for hours. If you are not in that, ever, at all, do not bother.

The chemistry Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels have on screen is simply amazing, even after all these years without working together. These guys have something special together. The supporting cast was good also, though I must admit I was disappointed by the fact that Seabass was not there to terrorize this time.

Dumb and Dumber To gave me a good dose of hilarity and nostalgia, and that can be so comforting for the soul.

Rating: ««««

No comments:

Post a Comment