Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Freaks and Geeks (1999-2000)

Genre: TV / Comedy
Starring: Linda Cardellini, John Francis Daley, James Franco
Number of seasons: 1 (18 episodes)



What a treat Freaks and Geeks was. I have laughed out loud, smiled in reminiscence and even shed a tear or two.

This TV show tells the story of a group of high school students in the Michigan of 1980-1981. The focal point is the Weir family, with Lindsay and Sam. Lindsay is 16. She’s an A student, but she’s trying to change clan and hang-out with the burnouts. She works hard not to be seen as a good girl, but, in her core, she is as sweet as they come. Sam is 14. He is discovering girls and trying his best to get rid of the geek image that he has. But, really, he just loves hanging around with his two best friends and play games.

Beyond the two main ones, there is a load of other well-developed characters in Freaks and Geeks. The Weir parents are plain awesome. They are so out-of-touch, but you cannot help but love them. James Franco, Busy Philipps, Jason Segel and Seth Rogen are all very good as the burnouts with whom Lindsay hangs around. Sam’s best friends are also very compelling as characters.

This TV show so should have lasted longer. Only 18 episodes, that is not enough, but, unfortunately, it was not meant to be. Those 18 are so enjoyable though, I plan on watching them again down the line. So many memorable episodes to speak of, I highly recommend this show.

Freaks and Geeks captures the high school experience perfectly, with the clans and groups. The bullying, the relationships, the fighting, etc.; it is all there. And the soundtrack is simply amazing. Some of my favorite music, some good old classic rock, is featured all the way through. Shout out to The Who’s Squeeze Box, a great song about accordions.


Rating: «««««

No comments:

Post a Comment