Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Friday, June 26, 2015

The Face of Love (2013)

Genre: Drama
Directed by: Arie Posin
Starring: Annette Bening, Ed Harris, Robin Williams
Running time: 92 minutes



Five years after losing her husband in a drowning accident, Nikki is still having a really hard time getting over it. Everything brings back to her mind her late husband Garret. One day, while visiting an art gallery she used to frequent regularly with Garret, she sees Tom, an artist with a striking resemblance to her deceased husband. She goes out of her way to meet this man again and to start a relationship with him, which doesn’t suit her neighbor and friend Roger, who has been pursuing a relationship with her for years.

As usual, Annette Bening and Ed Harris are very good. These two have a great track record and I feel kind of bad for them for being in this mess of a movie. The acting was solid, but the story just seemed to plod along and go nowhere. There was somewhat of a little glimmer for me at the end, and I finally got what the moviemakers were aiming for, but the road there was simply boring and felt aimless.

It was nice seeing Robin Williams again; I miss that actor. Unfortunately, he was not given much of a role here. His character of Roger could have been taken out of the equation and it would not have mattered at all. That is quite unfortunate considering how talented he was.

Overall, The Face of Love might be worth a shot to see a few great actors at work. It is simply unfortunate that the material given to them was not up to what they could offer.
Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment