Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Monday, June 1, 2015

Dumb and Dumber (1994)

Genre: Comedy/Author’s Favorites
Directed by: Peter and Bobby Farrelly
Starring: Jim Carrey, Jeff Daniels, Lauren Holly
Running time: 107 minutes



Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne are two friends who live together as roommates in Rhode Island. To say that they are not very smart is an understatement; as a matter of fact, they are as dumb as rocks. They are good-natured, but they are lacking in the brains department. After both losing their respective jobs one more time, they set out on a cross-country trip to Colorado to return a briefcase to its rightful owner, a beautiful woman Lloyd is infatuated with. What they do not know before getting to Aspen is that the case is loaded with cash and some bad guys are in pursuit to get it from them.

Over twenty years later, Dumb and Dumber remains my favorite movie in the comedy genre. Sure, it is not an intellectual film and some will look down upon it, but it was made to entertain and make people laugh and that’s exactly what it has done for me over the years. I have seen it over twenty times, at the very least, and as I watched it again last weekend to write this review, I still noticed something I had not seen before: The opening credits are filled with intentional spelling mistakes. That gave me quite a few chuckles. It was the directorial debut of the Farrelly Brothers, and quite a start it was.

Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels have great comedic chemistry on screen. They have both shown in their respective careers that they can be serious, but they sure know how to get a laugh. The supporting cast was all very good, in their respective roles. I remember the Cam Neely cameo being a nice surprise back then.  

Sure, Dumb and Dumber is filled with crass and low-brow humor, but, heck, we all need some of that (or at least I do). A movie has to be taken for what it is meant to be. So many lines and scenes in this movie made me laugh out loud and still do today, after many viewings. Dumb and Dumber remains a guilty pleasure of mine, and it has one of the best comedic ending scene in movie history. Thank you Jim Carrey for sticking to your guns on that one; it would not have worked any other way.

Rating: «««««


No comments:

Post a Comment