Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Monday, March 23, 2015

W.E. (2011)

Genre: Drama
Directed by: Madonna
Starring: Abbie Cornish, James D’Arcy, Andrea Riseborough
Running time: 119 minutes



Wally Winthrop is married to a doctor, but she’s almost always alone at home while her husband is at work or doing various other things. Lonely, she is obsessed with the love story of King Edward VIII, who abdicated his throne to marry American Wallis Simpson. W.E. goes back and forth between the modern day story of Wally Winthrop and the story of the royal love affair.
           
I wish I could find something good to say about this movie, but I simply cannot. I was bored to tears all the way through and I just could not seem to get emotionally invested in any of the characters. I simply could not make myself care about any of them, and the people involved in the film did not do anything to help. The acting was bland and uninspired, the story was uninteresting and the directing was lackluster at best. In spite of her being a pop music icon, a great movie director Madonna is not. Oh, the costumes were really well done. There, I found something nice to say. I worked hard on that one.

Some of you might like this movie, but, if I could just be like a virgin again when it comes to that movie, I would never let it in the door. What a waste of time.  

Rating: «

No comments:

Post a Comment