Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Cowboys & Aliens (2011)

Genre: Science-fiction / Western
Directed by: Jon Favreau
Starring: Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Olivia Wilde
Running time: 118 minutes



I must say that my expectations were not very high regarding Cowboys & Aliens. Mixing two such different genres as Science-fiction and Western can much for a very odd and bizarre combination, but the result on screen was surprisingly better than I expected.

Daniel Craig plays a man who wakes up in a desert with an apparent gunshot in his side and no recollection of anything, including his identity. He also has this weird metal bracelet around one of his wrists. As he fights his way back to a nearby town, he comes to find out from others that he’s a thief wanted by the law. Before he can be brought to justice, extra-terrestrial lifeforms come down and attack the town, taking some of the folks with them. Those remaining, no matter the allegiances and personal issues with each other, will have to band together if they hope to survive this attack.

On paper, this whole thing comes off as kooky as heck, but, as I said earlier, it still works on screen. The story is planned out nicely and the visual effects are pretty darn good. It is an interesting blend of two genres brought together and it makes for an entertaining viewing experience. Is it a great movie that I would care to see again and again through the years? No. That being said, for what it was, it is a good movie that exceeded expectations.

A special mention for Olivia Wilde’s eyes; wow, they are beautiful.


Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment