Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Monday, March 30, 2015

The Squid and the Whale (2005)

Genre: Drama
Directed by: Noah Baumbach
Starring: Jeff Daniels, Laura Linney, Jesse Eisenberg
Running time: 81 minutes



Bernard Berkman is a novelist, who was once very successful, but his star is now on the decline and, in his supreme arrogance, he is not willing to accept that he might be the problem. Just as his wife Joan starts publishing, with great success, their relationship fall apart beyond the point of repair. They get divorced, and, stuck in the middle, are their two children, who are torn between them.

I had seen this particular title a while back, but I came back to it in my desire to see and review everything Wes Anderson was involved in. In this case, Anderson served as producer in support of director Noah Baumbach.

Jeff Daniels and Laura Linney are both solid here, as usual. They have shown their talent in the past and they do so again in The Squid and the Whale. They are both very convincing as a couple falling apart. Daniels carries a big chunk of that load, as the arrogance and selfishness of his character is at the basis of the story. He went in head first without holding back, with just the right tone as to not go over-the-top. You see a father who has alienated his younger son, who is closer to his mother, and who might end up doing the same with the older one.

Jesse Eisenberg was already in his early 20’s when this film was made, but he looked the part of teenage boy. He was very touching as a son gravitating towards his father, his hero. He makes you feel the frustration and anger of a boy seeing his life fall apart right before his eyes.

The Squid and the Whale is a very touching movie. There are some tough moments, and some sweeter funny ones. Overall, it is a very good movie, albeit short. Worth a watch.
Rating: ««««



No comments:

Post a Comment