Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Monday, March 30, 2015

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)

Genre: Comedy
Directed by: Wes Anderson
Starring: Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Cate Blanchett
Running time: 118 minutes



Steve Zissou is an aging oceanographer and documentarian who is going on his latest mission, to hunt the “Jaguar shark” that ate one of his colleagues on a previous expedition. This time around, he has on board with him his long lost son, which he had with a woman, decades before, and a journalist chronicling the trip. This new adventure promises to be filled with emotions Zissou might not be ready to contend with.

Of all of Wes Anderson’s films, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou has to be the most quirky and off-beat, and that is saying a lot. That being said, that quirkiness is definitely part of its charm. I had seen this movie, years ago, and I must admit I liked it better this time around.

Wes Anderson sure has developed a knack, over the years, for working with interesting colors and textures. Whenever you watch his movies, you cannot help paying attention to everything on the screen, as every element battles for your attention. And what to say about the music? Once again, the soundtrack was a big part of the package. I must admit that the David Bowie songs sung in Portuguese and played on acoustic guitar was a nice touch.

Once again, we find many of the Wes Anderson regulars on cast, such as Bill Murray, Owen Wilson and Angelica Huston. Bill Murray is real solid here, as usual. His transformation is profound and he really becomes this blasé Jacques-Cousteau-esque character. He has really mastered that kind of role as of late, and he showed once again how much he controls his craft as Steve Zissou. You forget his previous roles and joins him on his adventure.

The story tended to drag a bit here and there, with some unnecessary scenes slowing the expedition down. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou also occasionally crossed the line between pastiche and parody, feeling is a tad over-the-top in the process. That being said, it definitely was a movie with a good dose of charm and humor, though definitely not Anderson’s best offering.

Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment