Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Other Woman (2009)

Genre: Drama
Directed by: Don Roos
Cast: Natalie Portman, Lisa Kudrow, Lauren Ambrose
Running time: 102 minutes



Based on the Ayelet Waldman novel titled Love and Other Impossible Pursuits, The Other Woman is the story of Emilia Greenleaf, who falls in love with married attorney Jack Woolf. Jack leaves his physician wife, Carolyn, to start a new family with Emilia, but their newborn child dies at the age of three days old. Still reeling from this major loss, Emilia tries to pick up the pieces of herself all the while attempting to build a positive relationship with Jack’s young son from his previous marriage, William. It all proves to be a very difficult task.

Natalie Portman is solid as usual, as Emilia Greenleaf. She has to convey a myriad of emotions and she does so in a convincing way. That is no surprise. I must admit I did not particularly care for Lisa Kudrow, in the role of the vengeful ex-wife. Anytime I see her on screen, I can’t seem to dissociate her from her role in Friends, and it pulls me out of any story I am trying to get into. It was the same problem here, though her presence was minor enough not to detract too badly.

The Other Woman got some heavily negative reviews from critics, mostly in regards to the directing work and the script many referred to as cluttered. I, for one, did not find it that bad. The director managed to avoid many traps of the melodramatic tales. In my book, it never went too far overboard. Through flashbacks, we could put together the pieces of the past that was still haunting the main character, and I found it easy to follow along. I was hooked and wanted to know more. The script could have been cleaned up a bit, but it was not as bad as many made it out to be.

While far from perfect, The Other Woman offers a compelling story nicely carried by a very talented Natalie Portman.


Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment