Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Monday, May 30, 2016

St. Vincent (2014)

Genre: Comedy / Drama
Directed by: Theodore Melfi
Cast: Bill Murray, Melissa McCarthy, Naomi Watts
Running time: 102 minutes



On the surface, Vincent MacKenna looks like nothing but a grumpy old alcoholic, who drinks, gambles and wastes his life away, but, like most other people, he has a story. In Vincent’s case, it might be more noteworthy than one would originally think. When a newly-separated mom and her young son move next door to Vincent, the old man ends up babysitting as a very last option in a dire situation and he takes the boy under his wing. Maybe the innocence of a child, free of preconceived ideas, can get to the bottom of what kind of man Vincent truly is.

How amazing it is to see Bill Murray again in a comedic role. He is given a lot to work with as Vincent MacKenna and he sure did show the extent of his talent. He offers a great mixture of humor, crassness and sensitivity, making his character so very loveable in spite of his many flaws. Melissa McCarthy has a secondary role here, as an overwhelmed newly-single mom working long hours to provide for her son, but she does it justice. Jaeden Lieberer is also very solid as the young boy. A special mention for Naomi Watts, who is unrecognizable as a European pole dance/prostitute.

Sure, by the end, St. Vincent gets a tad sentimental, but, really, I don’t care. It made me laugh, it choked me up in some places; what we have here is a compelling storyline delivered on screen by solid actors. And, it was all put together efficiently by the filmmakers to make a beautiful film. This is a work of art that does not take itself seriously, which makes it even more charming. And, the end credits, with Bill Murray and a Bob Dylan song; it kept me hooked to my seat. Overall, this is a movie I love very much and that I will see again for sure.

Rating: «««««

No comments:

Post a Comment