Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Avatar (2009)

Genre: Science-fiction
Directed by: James Cameron
Cast: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Stephen Lang
Running time: 161 minutes



Half-way through the 22nd Century, Jack Sully, a former marine now confined to a wheelchair, joins a group of scientists studying the Na’vi tribe, a group of blue-skinned humanoids living on Pandora, a habitable moon, through the use of hybrids called avatars. Alongside these scientists is the Resource Development Administration, with Colonel Miles Quaritch at the head of its private security force, looking to mine for a valuable mineral, even if it means getting rid of this Na’vi tribe.

When this film first came out, I never felt compelled to join the masses that rushed to the theatres to see it. I knew it was not my thing. Even since I was a boy, science was never really my cup of tea, so I never really got into science-fiction, with the made-up jargon for stuff that does not really exist. I am more of a down-to-earth, reality-based, kind of guy.

That being said, I must give props to James Cameron for this giant undertaking, a true tour de force. Even though it is not my favorite genre, I cannot deny the absolute beauty of the visuals offered in Avatar. The images and colors are so magnificent; it is a true thing of beauty. The acting itself did not really matter, though there were some solid lines here and there that made me laugh. This film also carries a very worthy message.

So, while I don’t think I will ever care to see this one again, I am glad I did so this once. A very beautifully-made film with a good heart. It was too long for my taste, especially since it is an effort for me to get into films of this genre. I am sure that, for some fans of science-fiction, this might be the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment