Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Lawless (2012)

Genre: Drama
Directed by: John Hillcoat
Cast: Shia LeBeouf, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman, Guy Pearce
Running time: 115 minutes



In the early 1930’s, in the midst of Prohibition, the three Bondurant brothers, Forrest, Howard and Jack, are running a very lucrative moonshine business in the backwoods of Virginia. The boys are both feared and loved in the area and they are believed to be immortal by the locals. A new torn in their sides arrives in the form of Special Deputy Charley Rakes. Rakes is coming from Chicago and is dead set on stopping the Bondurant clan at all costs.

This film is based on the novel titled The Wettest County in the World, written by Matt Bondurant. Bondurant was inspired by the lives of his grandfather and his grand uncles. The book was adapted for the screen by Australian singer-songwriter Nick Cave.

While not an epic gagnster film, the likes of which we have come to see and love over the years, Lawless is still an effective film. The storyline is compelling and it easy to get invested in the characters and their fate, emotionally-speaking.

The actors and actresses involved all offer some solid performances, but I have to mention Guy Pearce. He is absolutely convincing as the over-zealous man of the law that you cannot help but hate, even though he is out to stop criminals from doing their bad deeds. In a way, his methods are worse than the crimes being committed.

All things considered, Lawless is a very good crime drama that is well worth the viewer’s time. It is a very entertaining movie for the fans of the crime genre.
Rating: ««««

No comments:

Post a Comment