Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Woman in Black (2012)

Genre: Horror
Directed by: James Watkins
Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Ciaran Hinds, Janet McTeer, Liz White
Running time: 95 minutes



A widowed lawyer, Arthur Kipps (Radcliffe), leaves his son in London with the nanny and travels to a small village, where his task is to settle some paperwork and sell the home of a deceased woman who had no family left. Once on location, he doesn’t get much collaboration from the locals, except for one. In fact, most of them seem to be in a hurry to get rid of him. And he comes to find out that there is something terribly wrong with that house.

It was weird seeing Radcliffe in another role than the Harry Potter character. I must admit he did a good job here making me forget the young wizard. He has aged, which helps, and this is a totally different genre. Still, props to him, because he really made his character believable. You could feel his urge and desire to accomplish the task at hand, since his job was on the line. You could also feel his fear as he tried to conquer that house.

As for the movie itself, I have to say that it was a very effective horror film. It works on setting a certain atmosphere of tension. There is no gore, it is all about waiting for what will happen next. I’m a good spectator for horror, as it doesn’t affect me very much. The Woman in Black offered some scenes that literally sent shivers down my spine. I physically felt them course through my body. The tension is heavy and the atmosphere is dark, which makes for a great combination.

The film took a really weird turn towards the end, which kind of turned me off, but it remains an effective chills-giving horror flick.

Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment