Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Monday, February 9, 2015

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)

Genre: Drama
Directed by: David Fincher
Starring: Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Taraji P. Hanson
Running time: 166 minutes



This romantic fantastical drama is a long movie, standing at close to three hours, and it took me a few late nights tries until I finally managed to make it through the whole thing, but was it ever worth it. This movie manages to be heart-warming in some places and heartbreaking in others.

The movie starts in 2005, with Daisy Fuller as an old woman, on her death-bed. She asks her daughter to read her the diary of her first love, Benjamin Button. We are then taken on a trip into the life of a man who was born with the appearance and illnesses of an old person. His mother died giving birth and his father abandoned him on the front steps of some nursing home in New Orleans. As he would grow up, he would grow younger, meaning that, during his life, he would always cross the path of people going in an opposite direction from his.

Brad Pitt, an actor who has been known for very uneven performances through his career, is very solid and believable in his different portrayals of Benjamin Button (at different ages and looks). He makes you feel for this man who can never find himself on an equal level with someone his own age. Cate Blanchett does some fine acting work also.

As for the director, David Fincher, he travels through the different period of this story in seamless fashion all the way through the 166 minutes of this movie. This kind of running time can be a little off-putting, but it is well worth the investment in time. There were a few places where it dragged a bit, but overall, a very good film that will stick on your mind for a while.


Rating: ««««

No comments:

Post a Comment