Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Pearl Jam Twenty (2011)

Genre: Documentary
Directed by: Cameron Crowe
Starring: Eddie Vedder, Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament, Chris Cornell, Neil Young
Running time: 120 minutes



Rock journalist and movie director Cameron Crowe has proven many times before that he is a fan of music. After all, he has been a contributor of Rolling Stone magazine and has given us that wonderful ode to rock n’ roll lifestyle and groupies that is Almost Famous.

In Pearl Jam Twenty, Crowe documents the history of rock band Pearl Jam over 20 years. From the beginning as Mother Love Bone, to the arrival of lead singer Eddie Vedder, to the war waged against Ticketmaster, to the longevity as a band willing to evolve with the times, a really interesting story is being told here.

Since the whole Grunge movement didn’t resonate with me in the beginning, me being more of a rock n’ roll and blues kind of guy, I discovered Pearl Jam a little late in life. I am sure glad I finally got into them, because I found in them a band that had something to say and that was going to do it with awesome music.

In my mind, Eddie Vedder has surpassed Kurt Cobain as an artist. Many won’t agree with me, but that is fine, and I do recognize the contribution Nirvana’s leader gave to music. That being said, Vedder endured through a tough childhood, evolved from a shy young man to a great front man, managed to stay current through over two decades and still to this day produces great music, both as a solo artist and as the leader of Pearl Jam.

Pearl Jam has fought some fights and stuck to their guns, made some choices that did not please everyone, but, through the years, they have managed to keep a large fanbase and stay relevant. Pearl Jam Twenty tells that story and it is one that should appeal to the lovers of their music. Others might discover a band worth checking out.


Rating: «««««

No comments:

Post a Comment