Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Seven Days in Utopia (2011)

Genre: Drama
Directed by: Matt Russell
Starring: Robert Duvall, Lucas Black, Melissa Leo
Running time: 98 minutes



Seven Days in Utopia tells the story of a young pro golfer who has as meltdown on a course during a major tournament. Trying to get away from the media frenzy that comes with that situation, he goes on a trip, but he gets distracted and has a minor car accident in the small town of Utopia, Texas. He spends seven days in that little community, trying to find himself and the love for the game of golf, with the help of a former pro golfer.

This cheesy little affair has quite the talented cast to tell its story. I mean, Robert Duvall is one heck of an actor and quite the seasoned veteran. The supporting staff ain’t too shabby either. Unfortunately, they are not given much to work with in terms of story.

There are some good lessons in life and in sports in this movie, but the tone is a little too preachy for my taste. What we get is a big plate of cheese, with a side of bible-thumping. The movie is so very predictable; it is hard to let yourself go, since you see the end coming a mile away. The Christian souls looking for a positive message should appreciate.

Rating: ««


No comments:

Post a Comment