Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Great Gatsby (2013)

Genre: Drama
Directed by: Baz Luhrmann
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan
Running time: 142 minutes



This 2013 film is an adaptation of the famous novel of the same name written by F. Scott Fitzgerald in 1925. Nick Carraway is a WW1 vet being treated for alcoholism in a psychiatric hospital. He discusses with his doctor his interactions with Jay Gatsby, the only man he truly admires. Since Carraway finds it difficult to voice his thoughts properly, the doctor asks him to write them down, since writing is his passion.

In this film adaptation of Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby, it is quite easy to recognize Baz Luhrmann’s signature. The use of music, colours, textures, decors and visual theatrics; it is all very typical of the famous Australian movie director. The thing is, though, it is not my thing. I quickly became bored by this movie. I found the actors irritating in the portrayal of their characters and the way the source material was brought to the screen did not appeal to me. It was a constant battle not to turn it off.

I will give the movie some marks for its visual qualities, but, as for the rest of it, it might be some people’s cup of tea, but it is not mine.

Rating: ««

No comments:

Post a Comment