Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Back to the Future Part II (1989)

Genre: Comedy / Science-Fiction
Directed by: Robert Zemeckis
Starring: Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson
Running time: 108 minutes



The second movie starts where the first one ends. After repairing the damage he did to his personal history with the help of Doc. Brown and his DeLorean time machine, Marty McFly plans to resume his teenage life with his family and his girlfriend Jennifer. But, Doc comes back to get him, saying they have to go to the future to prevent Marty and Jennifer’s future son from ending up in jail and thus bringing doom upon the family. They travel to October 2015 (yes, I know). Unfortunately, in the process, they do some more life-changing damage to their history, which they will have to repair by going back to 1955 again.

While not as solid as the original, Back to the Future Part II is still a very entertaining flick. Now that we are actually in October 2015, it is quite interesting to see the vision the filmmakers had for these times over 25 years ago. Flying cars and hoverboards, everything automated and technology-galore; while much of it was outlandish, it is still fun to see it and notice that technology has indeed taken over our lives, even though not quite to that extent.

It was also a nice touch to go back to the events of the first film, in a time-travel back to 1955, and see it with a different point of view.

The chemistry between Fox and Lloyd is still solid in this sequel. They work well off each other. Some of the cast, namely Crispin Glover and Claudia Wells, needed to be replaced, but many of the originals were back at it too.

As for the plot, it got convoluted at times because they tried to squeeze a little too much in a film lasting only 108 minutes. Nonetheless, the charm of the characters and the basic storyline still operated. Years later, I am still entertained by it, and that’s really all you can ask from this type of movie. It is not meant to be an accurate account of the future we are in now. In that sense, Zemeckis and co. did a great creative job. They may have gone a tad overboard in terms of plot, but they still managed to deliver a very good movie.

Rating: ««««


No comments:

Post a Comment