Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me (2014)

Genre: Documentary / Musical
Directed by: James Keach
Cast: Glen Campbell
Running time: 116 minutes



This 2014 musical documentary chronicles country singer Glen Campbell’s farewell tour after being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease.

After officially announcing his health problems, in 2011, Glen Campbell, who is known for such hits and Rhinestone Cowboy and Gentle on my Mind, launched a new album, Ghost of the Canvas, and went on a farewell tour across America, with three of his kids in the band.

I’ll Be Me is a beautiful, yet heartbreaking, documentary film. To see such a talented man fade more and more each day because of that awful disease is so sad. Some might question why Campbell and his family lived these moments in such a public fashion, but I like to believe that it was a great way for them to get closure. He got to say goodbye to his fans by doing what he did best, even though it was more and more difficult for him to do it towards the end. The crowd seemed so appreciative and supportive.

I highly recommend this one, but make sure to keep a box of tissues handy, as tears are going to flow. There is still a good dose of humor, as Campbell himself comes off as a very witty man in these most difficult times from a health standpoint.


Rating: «««««

No comments:

Post a Comment