Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Dr. No (1962)

Genre: Thriller
Directed by: Terence Young
Cast: Sean Connery, Ursula Andress, Joseph Wiseman
Running time: 109 minutes



In this very first film of the famous 007 movie franchise, James Bond is sent to Jamaica to investigate the disappearance of a fellow British agent. His efforts to uncover the truth leads him to the underground lair of Dr. No, who is planning on disrupting an American space launch with a radio beam weapon.

Dr. No offers a good deal of cheesiness. The special effects are dated and some of the action scenes are laughable, but it remains an entertaining film. Sean Connery is among the best James Bond in my book and he had already captured the essence of Bond here. The role fitted him quite well. And what about that scene where Ursula Andress, as Honey Ryder (yeah, I know), is coming out of the water in that bathing suit? I am sure it was the object of many a boy’s wet dream.

Overall, this remains a fun movie, in spite of its evident flaws.

Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment