Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

30 Rock (2006-2013)

Genre: TV / Comedy
Starring: Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin, Tracy Morgan, Jane Krakowski, Jack McBrayer
Number of seasons: 7



Liz Lemon is head writer for TGS, a sketch comedy show ala Saturday Night Live. As part of her job, Liz must contend with Jack Donaghy, the very controlling network executive for NBC. Over the course of the series, Lemon and Donaghy develop a very special working relationship. She must also learn to deal with lazy writers, egotistical actors and a load of funny characters at work, not leaving her much time for her ailing personal life.

This show was created by the wonderful Tina Fey, who took inspiration from her years as a writer for SNL. I can imagine the things she has seen there at 30 Rockerfeller Plaza.

Fey also plays the lead role in 30 Rock. The character of Liz Lemon was tailor-made for her and she was great in it. That said, the shining star here for me was Alec Baldwin. He brought Jack Donaghy to life and made you forget it was an actor here delivering lines. This show gave me a bigger appreciation for the better-known Baldwin brother.

As far as secondary roles go, I really popped big for Rachel Dratch in her many appearances as various zany characters. Chris Parnell, as Dr. Leo Spaceman, and Dean Winters, as Dennis, a former flame of Liz Lemon, were other highlights for me. I have used that “Hey Dummies” line many times.

It took me longer to get used to the characters portrayed by Tracy Morgan and Jane Krakowski. They grew on me as the show went along, but they were never favorites of mine.

30 Rock offers loads of laughs, through a long list of classic episodes. It was also a lot of fun to see the various cameos through the seven seasons of the show. Overall, this is well worth watching for comedy fans.

Rating: ««««

No comments:

Post a Comment