Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Monday, July 25, 2022

Elvis (2022)

Genre: Biographical / Musical
Directed by: Baz Lurhmann
Starring: Austin Butler, Tom Hanks, Olivia DeJonge
Running time: 159 minutes

 


This very colorful biographical film chronicles the life of one of the most famous singers of all-time, Elvis Presley, with a particular focus on his complex relationship with manager Colonel Tom Parker.

First off, director Baz Lurhmann is clear to see here, yet again. The colours, the sets, the details; all is there. Austin Butler is really solid as Elvis. He brings him back to life. As for Tom Hanks, what can I say? He is a mater at work. The transformation he accomplished to become Tom Parker is the work of a true talented thespian.

Elvis is a touching film about a talented man who, in spite of all of his faults, had such a positive impact on so many people. By the end, you cannot help feel bad for how he was basically run right into the ground like a dead horse by an unscrupulous manager. I also appreciated how the film made such a big place for the Black musical community, that was such an influence on Presley.

Rating: «««««

No comments:

Post a Comment