Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

The Upside (2019)


Genre: Comedy / Drama
Directed by: Neil Burger
Cast: Kevin Hart, Bryan Cranston, Nicole Kidman
Time: 126 minutes



Phillip Lacasse is a wealthy author suffering from quadriplegia after a parasailing accident. Now a widower also, he is living a sheltered life. Phillip decides to hire Dell Scott, a man with a criminal record, as his live-in aide. A very unlikely friendship will blossom between the two very different men.

This is an adaptation of the French film called “Les Intouchables”, which is based on a true story. While it is not quite equal to the original, this film is well done. They did a good job Americanizing the story without diluting it. The acting is solid, and the two main actors a great chemistry together on screen. I laughed, I smiled and held back a few tears. That’s all you can hope for with a movie like this one: To be entertained and to get emotionally invested while it lasts.
Rating: ««««

No comments:

Post a Comment