Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Monday, November 20, 2017

The Case for Christ (2017)

Genre: Drama
Directed by: Jon Gunn
Starring: Mike Vogel, Erika Christensen, Faye Dunaway
Running time: 113 minutes



After her young daughter almost chokes to death on a bubble gum in a restaurant, Leslie Strobel decides to let Christian faith into her life. Her husband Lee, an investigative journalist who has long been a fervent atheist, strongly disapproves of this newfound faith. Being obsessed with the idea that facts trump everything else, he starts an investigation to disprove once and for all the concept of the resurrection of Christ.

This film is inspired by the true events in the life of Lee Strobel, a real journalist. I am quite shocked at the strength of his opposition to his wife’s newfound faith back then. It seemed quite overblown to me. Nonetheless, in spite of this being a Christian film, I found the story quite compelling and the acting to be very good. It is not often the case with that genre, but it was here.

My own wife has become interested in religion, which brought us to seeing this movie. I am not offended by it; I just find it weird and I remain a very lapsed Catholic. I might not fully agree with the conclusions and the message of this film, but I can certainly appreciate its cinematic merits.


Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment