Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Amy Schumer: Live at the Apollo (2015)

Genre: Comedy
Directed by: Chris Rock
Cast: Amy Schumer
Time: 61minutes



Over the last few years, I had only seen bits and pieces of Amy Schumer’s act on TV, in interviews. My first reaction was as follows: Oh, she looks sweet and cute, and her self-deprecating humor is funny. Then there was some backlash due in part to her political positions, and, honestly, I don’t care about that. There is also a case that was made for joke-stealing, which is more troublesome to me. I lose respect for these comedians when a case is brought up and proven to be solid.

Still, I decided to sit down and watch a full comedy special of hers. In the end, I was disappointed. Taking the stage at The Apollo Theatre, in New York, Schumer went into her usual schtick about her private parts, her body, the difference between the treatments of bigger women and bigger guys, Hollywood, etc, etc. In bits and pieces, Schumer’s act can be funny and charming. Stretched out over an hour, it tends to become repetitive and annoying. That little voice and the face she makes ALL THE TIME becomes a bit much after a while.

This 2015 comedy special had its funny moments, but, overall, it left me a little cold. I’ll check out more of Amy Schumer over the coming weeks to see if the trend will hold.

Rating: ««


No comments:

Post a Comment