Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Monday, December 12, 2016

12 Years a Slave (2013)

Genre: Historical / Drama
Directed by: Steve McQueen
Cast: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, Lupita Nyong’O, Sarah Paulson
Running time: 134 minutes



Based on the slave narrative memoirs of Solomon Northup, 12 Years a Slave tells the story of how a free African-American man living with his wife and kids in the New York area was enslaved for over a decade. Northup, who was making a living as a violinist, was invited to perform in Washington by two white men, who then drugged him and sold him to a slave pen. It would take 12 years of hardships before he would get his freedom back. Solomon Northup would then become an advocate for the abolition of slavery.

This film is not for the faint of heart. Some scenes can be hard to take, as the violence is very graphic and feels quite real. That being said, the subject matter demanded such realism. As it was long ago, we tend to forget about the atrocity that was slavery, but, at least, a movie like 12 Years a Slave did a great job shining a bright light on it.

All of the actors involved did a solid job here carrying their respective characters. The makers of 12 Years a Slave had a loaded cast to work with, with names such as Michael Fassbender, Paul Dano, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Giamatti and Brad Pitt. In some cases, these actors had smaller roles. Fortunately, in all cases, the appearance of these well-known actors did not feel like cameos and they did not take away from the whole package.

12 Years a Slave is a film that has to be seen, at least once, if not more. I highly recommend it.


Rating: «««««

No comments:

Post a Comment