Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The Final Cut (2004)

Genre: Science-Fiction / Thriller
Directed by: Omar Naim
Cast: Robin Williams, Mira Sorvino, Jim Caviezel
Running time: 95 minutes



In a world where a chip can be bought and implanted into your child’s brain to record everything he or she sees, cutters are very important people. Upon the person’s death, they are hired to edit these recordings and make a short film to be shown at the funeral. Alan Hakman is one of the best cutters in the business and he is known for handling controversial figures. Alan will remove these people’s bad deeds and make them look like saints. A former colleague of Alan comes back in the picture, asking him to hand over his latest case. Alan refuses, and, while he tries to fight off this intrusion into his work, a memory from his childhood comes back to haunt him.

With The Final Cut, there is some good and some bad.

First off, the storyline is very compelling and interesting. It will very likely spark some conversations about ethics if it is watched by a group of people. Also, I must praise Robin Williams’ performance. Over his career, while he was known for wild outbursts and over-the-top madness on screen, he could also show a lot of restraint. That’s what he did here, and, in the process, he made Alan Hakman feel very real.

As for the bad, Mira Sorvino did not raise her stock as an actress with me in this film. Man, she is such a bad actress. Also, as much as The Final Cut weaved an intriguing tale, the ending felt kind of flat for me, like it was unfinished.

All things considered, The Final Cut is an interesting, albeit flawed, movie.
Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment