Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Thursday, July 7, 2016

How I Met Your Mother (2005-2014)

Genre: TV / Comedy
Starring: Josh Radnor, Jason Segel, Cobie Smulders, Neil Patrick Harris, Alyson Hannigan
Number of seasons: 9



In 2030, Ted Mosby sits down with his two teenage kids to tell them the story of how he met their mother. Yes, a show with such a thin premise lasts nine seasons. While this is a quite an exercise in stretching things out, the bigger feat here is that the makers of this sitcom managed to create a very entertaining show. Ted’s story is basically an excuse to tell his kids about his life as a young adult with his group of friends in Manhattan.

First off, How I Met Your Mother is well written. The dialogues are often funny, sometimes touching. Also, the characters are easy to get attached to; they are well defined, interesting, and easy to root for or against. And the written material is delivered brilliantly by a talented cast of actors. Some of them I knew before, others were discoveries for me, which is always fun. The highlight of the show for me, acting-wise, is Neil Patrick Harris, in the role of Barney Stinson. To see an openly gay actor play a womanizer so well is something to see. While his character is very flawed and easy to hate, Harris manages to make him loveable.

Over the course of nine seasons, it is a given that some episodes will miss the mark. That being said, many are absolutely legen…(wait for it)…dary. While I felt something weird was in the works with the ending, I was still put off a bit when it came. I feel like the makers of this show tried to get a little too cute and swervy with people. Nonetheless, all things considered, How I Met Your Mother is a very good sitcom that I highly recommend.
  

Rating: ««««

No comments:

Post a Comment