Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

They Live (1988)

Genre: Science-fiction / Comedy
Directed by: John Carpenter
Cast: Roddy Piper, Keith David, Meg Foster
Running time: 94 minutes



An anonymous and unemployed drifter arrives to Los Angeles on foot carrying his baggage on his back. After finding a construction job, he befriends a fellow coworker, who will help him find some lodging in a nearby shanty town. Soon after his arrival, the usually-mild and calm drifter will find out, through the use of special sunglasses, that the ruling class is composed of aliens hiding among the masses under the appearance of humans and he will decide to join a group in the fight against them.

I have long been a fan of pro wrestling and of Roddy Piper, so I had seen this satirical science-fiction film a long time ago, but I had failed to take it for all it was worth as a boy. Now a grown man, I decided to give this particular title another look, and I was glad I did. What a fun movie; no wonder it has gained such a cult following over the years.

Sure, the acting is not great and there are some plot holes or creative shortcuts. However, there is also a very good message about the impact of propaganda on the masses in this movie. What I like most is that, in delivering his political message, John Carpenter does not take himself seriously. They Live manages to remain light and fun in spite of having something to say about society.

This cult classic deserves to be seen at least once, if not more.   
Rating: ««««

No comments:

Post a Comment