Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Monday, April 11, 2016

Just Friends (2005)

Genre: Romantic Comedy
Directed by: Roger Kumble
Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Amy Smart, Anna Faris
Running time: 94 minutes



Back in high school, Chris Brander was a fat unpopular kid with a retainer and his best friend was beautiful Jamie Palamino, on whom he had a secret crush. After graduation, he decided it was time to declare his love for Jamie, but plans backfired and he got humiliated by his whole graduation class. Ten years later, he has moved from New Jersey to LA, has lost the excess weight and has become a womanizer who concentrates of superficial matters when it comes to relationships. As part of his job as a record producer, he is sent to accompany a pop icon on a trip to Paris to ensure that everything runs smoothly. Unfortunately, a fire forces the plane to land down near Chris’ hometown. He brings the starlet home to his mother’s house, where he will have to finally deal with the past from which he ran away.

This is your typical run-of-the-mill romantic comedy with the beautiful people getting together in the end in spite of all the obstacles. The good kid who has become a bad man gets reformed; you see the drill. Felt like my story up until the weight loss part came in, though I did end up with a beautiful woman. Yay me! Anyways, Ryan Reynolds and Amy Smart are not atrocious here, but they are nothing special either. Chris Klein and Anna Faris, on the other hand, are horribly over-the-top. With Faris, it is not that surprising.

Overall, Just Friends is a very predictable romantic comedy, and the acting is not good enough to save it. The humor also usually falls flat, so that doesn’t help either. If I were you, I would not bother with this one; there are better titles in this genre.

Rating: ««

No comments:

Post a Comment