Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Take Me Home (2011)

Genre: Romantic Comedy
Directed by: Sam Jaeger
Starring: Sam Jaeger, Amber Jaeger, Victor Garber
Running time: 97 minutes



Thom is an aspiring photographer whose career is not going the way he wants it to. After getting evicted and losing out on a job, he goes back to driving his illegal cab around New York City. His life takes a sharp turn when Claire gets in the car. She is a workaholic who suspects her man is cheating on her and who just found out the father she has not seen in years has just had a heart attack. The two set out on a road trip where they will learn a lot about themselves and each other.

The two main characters in this film are played by a real life couple, and let’s just say they have better chemistry than Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. Good for them. As for the movie itself, I appreciate the fact that, in spite of it being a romantic comedy, they did not go full Hollywood on us by inserting the token hot love scenes and giving us an ultra-predictable ending. It was more of a subdued than an in-your-face kind of movie.

Take Me Home is character-driven movie with a compelling premise. The scenery was also a nice element, but, in the end, it just seemed to drag on for me, even though it is not a long film. There was a little je-ne-sais-quoi missing to make it very good, but it is still a decent film with a nice storyline and good acting.


Rating: «««

No comments:

Post a Comment