Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Dazed and Confused (1993)

Genre: Comedy
Directed by: Richard Linklater
Starring: Jason London, Rory Cochrane, Wiley Wiggins, Adam Goldberg
Running time: 97 minutes



School’s out for summer at Lee High School, in Texas, and the kids are intent on celebrating this momentous occasion. Drugs are being consumed, alcoholic beverages too, freshmen are being hazed and absolute mayhem is to be expected.

In Dazed and Confused, we have an ensemble cast of actors and actresses who would later become big names in Hollywood. People like Ben Affleck, Milla Jovovich and Matthew McConaughey were just starting in the business back then.

This 1993 coming-of-age comedy is such a fun film, as it brings you right back to high school, with the desire to be cool and to party and to have your idealism taken seriously. The actors all feel authentic, from the stoners, to the bullies, the jocks and the hangers on who do not want to leave. Though I must say I’m glad hazing was not so prevalent when I went to high school. If I am to be involved in paddling or spanking, on either side of the implement, I would rather the opposite sex be involved.

I love this movie, from the story, to the characters and to the soundtrack. I can watch this one over and over again.

Rating: «««««


No comments:

Post a Comment