Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

I Am Sam (2001)

Genre: Drama
Directed by: Jessie Nelson
Starring: Sean Penn, Dakota Fanning, Michelle Pfeiffer
Running time: 134 minutes



Sam Dawson is a man with a developmental disability who becomes a father after getting a homeless woman pregnant. After giving birth, the mother runs out on them, leaving Sam to take care of the child, with a little help from his friends. As his daughter Lucy grows older, her father’s limitations start posing a problem, and social services get involved. Trying to gain back his parental rights, Sam hires a high-powered lawyer to help him fight in court.

While his performance might have made some people uncomfortable, Sean Penn needs to be recognized for his dedication to the role of Sam Dawson. What a transformation! A man widely known as a temperamental badass in Hollywood turns into a fragile developmentally disabled man and he makes you believe it in the process. Michelle Pfeiffer and Dakota Fanning also offered some solid performances in this 2001 drama.

The film itself is a tad preachy and sentimental, trying to portray people looking for a better situation for a young girl as bad people. But, this movie tugs on your heartstrings and you want Sam to get his daughter back, though it is clear he will need a lot of help to raise her.

Along with the performance by the main actor, a strong point of I Am Sam is the soundtrack. Composed of Beatles songs covered by various talented artists, it is a true work of art.

In spite of its obvious flaws, you cannot help feeling good by the end of I Am Sam. I wish I did not like this film so much, but I cannot help it.


Rating: ««««

No comments:

Post a Comment