Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Friday, January 15, 2016

Captain Phillips (2013)

Genre: Thriller / Biographical
Directed by: Paul Greengrass
Starring: Tom Hanks, Barkhad Abdi, Catherine Keener
Running time: 134 minutes



An American container ship is overtaken by a group of Somalian pirates while traveling around the Horn of Africa. During an exchange aimed at sending the pirates off the boat with a small amount of money, the ship’s commander Captain Richard Phillips is taken hostage for ransom by the criminals and taken away on a lifeboat.

This film is based on the true story that happened to the real Richard Phillips in 2009. The filmmakers did an awesome job here bringing these events to the screen. As the movie starts, the background of the two main characters is set. It is quickly done, but it is done well enough to make you understand these characters and care for their fate. Then, the action begins, and what a thrilling ride it is. This is a flick that keeps you on the edge of your seat. It all feels so real; you cannot help feeling emotionally involved.

The role of Captain Phillips was another great opportunity to showcase Tom Hanks’ superior acting skills. The man is a brilliant actor, and he showed it once again in this film. Hanks makes you feel Richard Phillips’ plight. You see the ship captain’s fortitude and character through the actor.

Barkhad Abdi was a great discovery for me in the role of pirate leader Abduwali Muse. Some very solid acting on his part.

Overall, this is a great film that I will not mind seeing again and again through the years. Some great cinematic work by all parties involved.
Rating: «««««

No comments:

Post a Comment