Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Spectre (2015)

Genre: Action
Directed by: Sam Mendes
Starring: Daniel Craig, Christopher Waltz, Léa Seydoux
Running time: 148 minutes



In this new installment of the James Bond franchise, Agent 007 goes on an unofficial mission requested by his former boss, the now deceased M. What starts out as the killing of one man becomes an encounter with a massive criminal organization called Spectre. This new adventure will once again take the infamous spy all around the globe.

From the start of his involvement in the series, I have never been a big supporter of Craig as Bond. I have always found him to be too dry, especially in comparison to Roger Moore and Sean Connery, the measuring sticks in my book when it comes to Bond. I will give credit where it is due, the English blond actor has gotten more comfortable in the role and he gives us his best performance to date as 007. While it is not as good as the best of the best were, he showed more passion and humor this time around, and it was greatly appreciated.

Spectre remains a James Bond film; the wheel does not get reinvented here. I never expected that anyways. Explosions, car chases, fights and the likes; all the same ingredients mixed up in the cinematic bowl. The result may not be totally fresh, but it was entertaining.

Christopher Waltz, that many of us discovered thanks to his work with Tarantino, is really good here. I would even dare to say that we see too little of him. He has that face and that voice that really makes you passionately hate a character. But, as far as underutilized actors, the worst crime of Spectre is the use of the beautiful Monica Bellucci. We only get to see her for less than 5 minutes. She barely has time to talk and have a sexual encounter with the hero before disappearing. I must admit though that French actress Léa Seydoux does a really good job as Dr. Madeleine Swann.

Former pro wrestler Dave Bautista was a great choice as the silent muscle of the criminal organization. He looked like a legitimate threat, though it is clear that the hero will always prevail in the end.

Overall, Spectre offers good entertainment. Fast-paced action and some good acting work for this particular genre.
Rating: «««


No comments:

Post a Comment