Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Prison Break (2005-2017)

Genre: TV / Drama
Starring: Dominic Purcell, Wentworth Miller, Sarah Wayne Callies
Number of seasons: 5



Lincoln Burrows is sent to prison and sentenced to death for the killing of the brother of the Vice-President of the United States; a crime he never committed. His brother, Michael Scofield, a brilliant structural engineer, gets himself thrown into the same prison, the Fox River State Penitentiary, with the purpose of breaking him out of there before he gets executed. Whether it is inside the prison or outside of its walls, a major fight for freedom and truth is going on. Loyalties are being tested constantly.

The two main actors, Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell, have such great on-screen chemistry as brothers who have only had each other to depend on since childhood. Now, they will have each other’s back at all costs. Both brothers are polar opposites, but you can easily feel, through the acting and the storytelling, that link that will forever unite them. I particularly dug the Scofield character, a man who does not have the brawns so he uses his brains. He is always multiple moves ahead in his head, which makes him a threat to many people.

The supporting cast is also very solid. There are too many actors and actresses to name them all, but there are so many good performances here. Character development is a very important aspect in Prison Break; so many layers, with people switching sides in the war depending on their stake in the matter. In some cases, we go from hate to love and back and forth in regards to characters, but, come what may, we always care what happens to these fictional people.

As good as the character development is in Prison Break, some plot twists left me scratching my head a little bit. The story took a few turns for the weird, especially in the last season. But, by the end of it all, it was brought to a good conclusion, filled with emotion and intensity. 
 Rating: ««««



No comments:

Post a Comment