Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Friday, January 23, 2015

The Stepford Wives (1975)


The Stepford Wives (1975)

Genre: Science-fiction / Thriller
Directed by: Bryan Forbes
Starring: Katharine Ross, Paula Prentiss and Peter Masterson
Running time: 115 minutes

 
A young wife and professional photographer, Joanna Eberhart (Katharine Ross), moves from NYC to the fictional town of Stepford, Connecticut, with her husband Walter (Peter Masterson) and their two children. She quickly starts to feel lonely in this quaint little town. She’s a rebel at heart and she finds it suspicious that most of the other wives in town are completely submissive to their husbands, who are all members of the Stepford’s Men Association. She finds a friend in Bobbie Markowe (Paula Prentiss), another young wife who finds the situation quite suspicious. Together, they start investigating the city of Stepford trying to understand what is going on. What will they find?

Contrary to the remake that would come almost three decades later, this original film based on the book of the same name by Ira Levin is given a very serious tone. There is an aura of creepiness around the whole thing. The movie is built around the growing paranoia of Katharine Ross’ character towards the city of Stepford and the men within it. As they say, it’s not because you are paranoid that they are not really after you.

So, in this movie, director Bryan Forbes worked on setting a certain mood and atmosphere, and he did it well. The actors also displayed some good acting chops to make this Sci-fi/Thriller a successful one. The tension builds towards the ending, and I was certainly kept interested all the way through. There are a few little corny aspects to this story, but I think it was to be expected considering the subject matter and the era in which the movie was made. The pacing is also a little slow. All things considered a very entertaining offbeat movie that is well worth a watch.

Rating: ««««

 

No comments:

Post a Comment