Well, hello there, kind folks. If you’re visiting this blog of mine, I presume that you have a certain interest in the cinema. As for me, even since my early childhood, I have had a deep love of everything related to movies and television. As far as I can remember, I have been more at ease in front of a screen than in the yard, outside, playing. It is a great way to travel, though other people’s stories, without having to foot any kind of steep bill. Over the years, I feel that movie-watching has even fuelled my own creativity.

All that being said, I welcome you in my Cinephile’s Nest. I hope you enjoy it here, feel free to come back at any time. Here you will find reviews of current movies and older ones. TV shows also. Some classics that have remained some of my favourites, some that have disappointed me. I will use a very basic star (*) system to grade them from 1 to 5 (5 being sliced bread level). Remember, these are just my tastes. I will try to explain in each review what I liked about these particular movies, without giving spoilers.

Il y aura aussi des critiques en français pour les films francophones, car j'aime également le cinéma dans ma langue maternelle. Avant d'apprendre l'anglais, plus jeune, je louais des tonnes de films traduits en français, surtout ceux de Bud Spencer et Terrence Hill. Ma mère a eu le choc de sa vie lorsqu'un jour, dans la boîte d'un de ces films, Deep Throat avait malencontreusement inséré. Une expérience formatrice pour le jeune cinéphile que je suis.

Bienvenue à tous, amusez-vous bien.

I welcome you all here, enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)


One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)

Genre: Drama / Author’s Favorites
Directed by: Milos Forman
Starring: Jack Nicholson, Louise Fletcher, Will Sampson, Brad Dourif
Running time: 133 minutes

Given that the title of this movie inspired the name of this blog and that it is my favorite film of all-time, it was only natural for me to make this particular title the first one to be reviewed. As I sat watching it again last night, it fully dawned on me that this movie is so rich in content and meaning that it can be watched again and again and will always have something to offer. In fact, it SHOULD be watched over and over again, at different times in your life. I had not seen this film in a couple of years, and last night’s watching was as rich as ever, if not more, considering I am now at my oldest (yeah, big discovery there).

Here is the story of Randall MacMurphy, a man who is arrested for the statutory rape of a 15 year old girl. To avoid a stay in the work farm, he has himself committed to a mental institution, thinking it will be a smoother ride. There, he is confronted by a cold and castrating authority figure, Nurse Ratched.

This movie can be analyzed to death, and everybody will interpret it in their own way, I won’t go into my own in-depth analysis, so as to avoid spoiling anything for those who have never seen it (I know some of you). I will leave it at saying that it is a powerful and riveting look at the eternal battle between authority and rebellion. I have always felt at odds with overbearing authority figures, so Randall MacMurphy’s (Jack Nicholson) rebellious battle against the stern and cold authority of Nurse Ratched (Louise Fletcher) definitely struck a chord with me.

I will say this: Jack Nicholson is my favorite actor. In this particular film, he is at his best. He is convincing, he really makes you believe he is that guy stuck where he should not be. He won his first Oscar for that role, and he deserved it fully. Louise Fletcher was also recognized at the Academy Awards for her role, and she deserved it too. She brought that character from Ken Kesey’s book to life in such a way that it became one of the biggest villains in movie history. Forty years later, the name Nurse Ratched is still used to describe a battleaxe or an overbearing and evil authority figure. We have all known at least one in our lives.

In the supporting cast, you will also find some great actors who were making their debut on screen. Names to be mentioned are: Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd and Brad Dourif. All of them, plus many others, were all convincing in their respective roles.

So, as I wind down this review, all I can say is: If you have not seen this film yet, go ahead. It is a movie that stays with you. It makes you think. There are some funny moments, but there are also some very hard ones. Some might fight hard to stand, depending on their particular sensitivities. It tackles a difficult subject, mental illness, to make a bigger point. Different people will take different things out of it. If you have seen it, a long time ago, do it again; it is well worth it.

I leave you with this particular gem of a line: But I tried, didn't I? At least I did that.

Rating: «««««

No comments:

Post a Comment